I pondered eating seed pods from the butterfly weed. They're just at the edge of too tough per https://foragerchef.com/milkweed-pods/
I picked enough blueberries from the middle bush that Christine could make well blue-berried waffles this week. The north end bush is still covered with the grape purple berries it's had since April and May. The south end bush is the sprout from the roots of a plant that essentially died -- i won't expect anything from that plant for another year.
The blackberries and roses and apples are all suffering from the Japanese beetles. I just haven't had the fight-back energy needed.
Gladiolas have had the last bloom lean over to the ground. I've added it to the vibrant display on the mantle. The cardinal flower and blue lobelia are blooming but the rose mallow, a hardy hibiscus, is showing off in a dramatic manner. I managed to get two to maturity from five seed i bought from swallowtail seeds. One is a purple-red that i think i will move as it somewhat clashes with the cardinal flower's red. I've bought five more seeds of a red rose mallow that, even if they aren't the same as the red in the cardinal flower, will hopefully be red enough to compliment the cardinal.
I spent a great deal of time plotting removal of the nonnative azaleas which seem to have an infestation of Stephanitis pyrioides (Scott). I've identified leatherwood as a shrub with some nice spring and autumn color (yellow) that can do well in the shade of that corner. If it fails due to too little shade, i suppose i can replace it with Little Suzie, a native witch hazel selection. I'm imagining purple toned heuchera and a variety of yellow flowering plants (perhaps even begonias in the summer). It was fun to plan.
This is also posted at https://elainegrey.dreamwidth.org/817565.html .