- Card catalogs and the secret history of modernity, Tim Carmody (via twitter)
- Interesting retrospective in the age of big data.
- Reading by the Numbers: When Big Data Meets Literature (NYT), Jennifer Schuessler
- We know how to read texts,” he wrote in a much-quoted essay included in his book “Distant Reading,” which won the 2014 National Book Critics Circle Award for Criticism. “Now let’s learn how to not read them.”
- Since 2010, Stanford Literary Lab, which he founded with Matthew Jockers, has issued a string of pamphlets chronicling its research into topics ranging from loudness in the 19th-century novel to the evolving language of World Bank reports.
- A recent broadside in The Chronicle of Higher Education called “The Digital-Humanities Bust” took a bludgeon to the field’s revolutionary rhetoric,
- NYT 20110624 What Is Distant Reading?
- NYT The Book Crunchers
- Google Search Now Checks Your Local Library For Ebooks
- Pretty sure library use of linked data behind this. Viva Schema.org.
- H/T someone on Dreamwidth? I didn't note source.
- The case against annotations Adam Warski
- Abstract Annotations were introduced to Java in 2004 and have since enabled a lot of progress and vastly improved the way we write software in the…
- Read, our authZ controls are often implemented with annotations
- Information Standards Quarterly (ISQ) Summer 2011, Volume 23, Issue 3, Special Topic: Organization and People Identifiers
- Added to my to-read list for work
- Working group links added for completeness
- CASA: Campus Activated Subscriber Access - https://goo.gl/NAcukc.
- Added to my to-grok list for work
- Blockchains for IAM & Introducing ID Pro
- Presentations attended at Meet up on Thursday. I asked (obnoxious?) block chain questions and was reminded of my intention to join the professional society. The most important thing was talking to someone who i'd been introduced to via work, and finding out he is chair of the advisory council to which i have been nominated. Also, we lingered long enough i got to take all the yummy cheese and fruit home as well as a bottle of wine
- FIM4R – Federated Identity Management for Research
- more to grok for work
- IDPro Mission & Vision
- Followed through on joining!
Zotero for the week
I've taken some time off, mainly because i am exhausted, and Saturday and Sunday i am involved with an online retreat. Because i am involved…
Zzzzz. Carrie woke us up at 4 am Thursday, barking -- outside? Had she been out all night? Christine woke and dashed in concern, but apparently…
I am suspicious as many are that "social media" has driven the darker impulses of human behavior. But when i think of the national guard in…